Monday 30 May 2011

Fiddling around

So at the moment, I'm not making anything for anyone (except for some baby wipes which are almost finished...)
And as I'm on Annual Leave from my day job, I thought I'd get to fiddling around and playing with my machines.

I have a sewing machine and overlocker, and had lost the manual to the machine when I first got it, as I put it somewhere safe (as you do) and couldn't find it. But yah!!!! I found it.

I moved them both downstairs temporarily as my camping table wobbles and wiggles around when i'm sewing and I had already broken a few needles and our dinner table is heavy and solid so used that instead.

I bought a pattern online for some cute skirts and after spending a few days with my dear cousin's kids Trinity (8) and Levente (6), thought I would make these gorgeous girls some skirts.....

First problem I had was the pattern I had only went to size 5, and both these girls are bigger than that so after contacting the maker of the pattern, I was sorted, just extend the squares a bit for length and the waist will be big enough anyway (as it gathers)

I went shopping, bought some fantastic beigy coloured materials plus some gingham and a length of each of the girls favourite colours as well. The cutting out was fun and I enjoyed that, mind you, I am thinking of investing in a cutter if I continue to make patchwork items as its a lot easier to use the cutters...

And then for assembly......

  This is about half way through, I really like it here....

And then I finished it off, and it looked like this....


It looks really rumpled and rough, I am happy with it but I am hoping it looks a bit better after its had a good wash and dry....

In general, I loved making it. Its more involved than my usual sewing, which was good for my brain andI would love to think I could make clothes for girls if/when I need to. So more practise for me :-) There are a few steps I might skip as I didn't see the point and it seems to make it less flowing (in my opinion)

I still have to finish the blue one so might play with that one and see how it ends up.....

More to come soon......

No comments:

Post a Comment